20131022

Shear Foxtrot Zero



I don't do this enough. I don't usually have the time. This was one of those projects where I had an idea in my head, and I just ran with it. I wasn't bogged down by preliminary preparation, or mathematical assurances because I already know the math works. I learned that from Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta and Echo. The math works. I sketched a little, but that's it.

In a way, this was like a test. Based on all the previous work, can I just pick up the materials and tools and just improvise something? Apparently, yeah. I can. There are some new variations to the technique like mid-row transition origins, and transition-dependent stitch changes, and transition breaks. I don't expect you to understand any of that, they're just things I threw in there because they popped into my head.



Fiber preparation ended up being very time consuming. You may recall that tumblr post from way back where I split the native double strand that the sweater had been knit up with. Well, that's what took forever. It was ridiculous, really. But in order to achieve the appropriate gauge, I needed a three strand, and that meant I had to split at least some of this yarn lot. It was infuriatingly time consuming, and I cursed a lot.

So with the Fiber Prep, and the level of craftsmanship of the work, this particular piece proved to be more work than what I typically produce for the shop. And all that work makes it more valuable to me than I could ever convince a buyer to see.

NOT FOR SALE


No comments:

Post a Comment