Shear Delta One
This one initially started of as a test knit to see if I could meet the gauge requirements for the Shear Series with a thicker yarn. Up until this point I've been using yarns consisting of two strands of lace weight which is how many of these commercially made sweaters are produced. This particular sweater was constructed with a three strand yarn, and I was curious to see if it would work up significantly larger. It's a 55% Shetland 45% Merino blend that's quite soft and light.
I guess technically it did, but not by much. The design gained about an inch or so in both length and circumference, which I think turned out to be a good thing. Visually, it just makes it slightly more slouchy, and I like that.
The brim stitch reversals I did on Shear Charlie are present here, but the length increase causes the fold over to cover them. It still adds some complexity to the overall stitch sequence though. I like the diversity it adds to the central textures, and I like how it unifies with the brim.
All in all though, I have to say this hat was physically strenuous. The yarn is too thick for the needles I used, so knitting felt very tight. I haven't decided yet if I will do another one of these with this particular yarn, maybe if I go up in needle size. I'll just have to swatch it out and see what works.
Etsy Shop Listing