20120106

Unpredictable & Finite

Divide Bravo 2

I do love this design. Not just because of the pattern itself, but because this is a signature color for gridjunky. I think the whole "boring colors" argument stems from knitters who seem to think we (guys) have no desire to be daring. And I may get some flack for this, but I also think it stems from a lack of design training. Color isn't the only way to express yourself. I choose to forge my path with texture.

But as I've mentioned before, this is the last of this particular yarn lot, a scottish shetland wool recycled from a Nordstrom men's cardigan. The sweater was badly damaged with ripped seams, missing buttons, and straight-up filthy. It took about five washes to get the water to run clear. It was so gross I didn't even take a picture of it. But this is shetland wool at it's best: indestructible. And once I re-spliced all the breaks into decent yardage, it was new again. In total I've made five hats from this lot, two of which I kept for myself because I love it that much.

This is the same pattern as the original I did in navy blue. Nothing different here except the yarn, and when it's gone, it's gone. Will I find another gray shetland sweater in the future? Who knows? But I guess that jives with gridjunky too: the organic structural systems I explore with texture represent the paths of life, and life is both unpredictable and finite.

Etsy Shop Listing

No comments:

Post a Comment